Thursday 27 January 2011

A Bright Spot

            A harrowing gym session this morning made an “interesting” start to the day. Anyone who says they enjoy lifting heavy stuff over their head at 8am is quite frankly a liar. 


            The previously mentioned mesylation (see yesterday) was unsurprisingly somewhat of a write-off so I had another crack at it. Two hours, 0 oC, wash with acid, wash with base, dry and remove solvent. To my absolute horror, I think it’s only gone and worked. The other two reactions I had running as well also appear to have not failed. For about the last two months, I can think of maybe two occasions where things have gone as planned and this is one to add to the list. I have a horrible knack of changing tact completely if something doesn’t work first time and consequently I have done a massive variety of chemistry in the last year or so (MSc and now PhD) but haven’t actually really got anywhere with the original topic I am supposed to be working on. Anyway, that’s a story for another day.

            All in all, today I haven’t had to clean anything, two reactions have worked, two more are currently stirring overnight and I’m now going to eat something I made last night (at home rather than in the lab, I hasten to add) and so a night of pure vegetation awaits. It is days like this that make a PhD seem like a valid use of my time, which is nice. There just might be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, or is it some bastard with a torch bringing me more work? Only time will tell.
           

2 comments:

  1. I love days that actually work...when you get chemistry that doesnt hate you, you just need to run with it as fast as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty bloody excited yesterday because I had my first statistically significant result in 9 months. Cue brief ecstasy followed by long depression over realisation that the last 9 months have been a total waste of time.

    ReplyDelete